Here's an update on the Pho and MSG poll I have running for a while on the site with some of my assessment. A warm thanks to all readers who took the poll. If you haven't already done so then please join in and take the poll. Just click on the "Vote" link.
The above poll itself is live and changes over time. For this post, let's take a closer look at the results as of August 5, 2017 (snapshot below) to see what pho eaters are telling us about their feelings regarding pho and MSG.
It looks like 54% (34% + 20%) of poll takers are okay with having MSG in their pho. If we stretch this to further include the 17% who say they'll eat pho if MSG use is not blatantly excessive, then we'd have an overwhelming 71% (more than 2/3) who would eat pho that have MSG in it. At the other end of the spectrum, almost 1/3 says they'd never eat pho with MSG.
So here's my take on this.
- It is reasonable to assume that this result may include a few outlier restaurants that use excessive MSG in their pho. The reality is, and this is my educated guess, that most would use MSG only as needed.
- It's also reasonable to assume most people are actually voting based on their experience of having good, acceptable and edible pho that may have any level of MSG in it. As long as the pho is good, and the eaters experience no problems and are willing to pay for it, then the 54% or even the 71% result is valid.
- Of the nearly 1/3 of people who would never eat pho with MSG, it is mind-boggling to me if they're all allergic to or have some problem with MSG. According to the FDA's Questions and Answers on Monosodium glutamate (MSG), 'FDA considers the addition of MSG to foods to be “generally recognized as safe”'. It would makes no sense if the FDA says this about MSG use in foods if this many people actually have problems with it. Hence my next point.
- I would not argue that a small number of the "never MSG" group really shouldn't eat foods with MSG in it for various and real symptoms that they experience. There are some who do have allergies (which can be violent or even life-threatening). But what about the rest of the 1/3 "never MSG" group? My theory is, it may all be in their heads.
So do you agree or disagree with my assessment above? Love to hear your feedback on the subject.
If you're a pho restaurant operator, what is your experience on this?
Share in the comments below.
Read my other post on MSG: Vietnamese Pho With No Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)? Sure You Want It That Way?
To find out how I can help you open your own pho restaurant, or improve your existing operation, please use the form on the Pho Restaurant Consultation page.
Pho Restaurant Business articles:
For more tips and information, read the complete series on how to open and operate your own pho restaurant.
- How to Open a Pho Restaurant.
- What Makes a Great Pho Restaurant?
- What You Need to Open a Pho Restaurant-The Starting Point.
- Tips For Your New Pho Restaurant’s Front and Back of the House.
- Designing Your Pho Restaurant: Hidden Secret of a Good Pho Restaurant Floor Plan.
- Controlling Food Costs of Your New Pho Restaurant.
- Hiring a Pho Chef For Your Pho Restaurant.
- Beef Pho, Chicken Pho, Men, Women: A Complex Relationship.
- Up-Sell Specialist – Would This Work in a Pho Restaurant?
- Secrets To Making And Serving Great Pho In Your Restaurant.
- How Much Does It Cost To Build And Open A Pho Restaurant?
- Pho Restaurant Customer Satisfaction and Complaints.
- Half Off Pho – Why 50% Off Are Not Such Good Pho Deals.
- What Is Real, Authentic Pho?
- Secret Ingredients For Pho: Revealed
- Pho Restaurant Business Plan, Part 1: What Is It Anyway?
- Pho Restaurant Business Plan, Part 2: What’s Sexy About It?
- Pho Restaurant Business Plan, Part 3: The Nuts and Bolts
- Customer to Pho Restaurant: These 5 Things Can Hurt Your Business
- Signs That a Pho Restaurant Is in the Process of Failing
- Hey, What’s the Cost of That Bowl of Pho?
- How Long To Cook Pho Spices In Pho Broth
- 5 Ways A Pho Restaurant Can Beat The Competition
- What’s Your Pho Type, Beef Pho, Chicken Pho or Vegan Pho?
- Online Coupons and Offers – What’s In It For Pho Restaurants?
- What Pho Restaurateurs Can Learn From This Poll
- 3 Reasons Why You Need An Architect For A New Pho Restaurant
- On Pho Restaurant Quality And Service, And Pho 79 Revisited
- What Pho Restaurant Experience Causes You To Never Come Back?
- Selling Pho Secrets – With A Catch
- A Conversation With Pho Restaurant Architect Quynh Tran
- Anatomy Of A Solid Pho Restaurant Business Plan – Part 4
- How To Design, Build and Operate Vietnamese Pho Restaurants
- Pho Eater Behaviors – What Pho Restaurants Can Learn From These Polls
- Importance Of A Well Developed Pho Restaurant Concept
- Will You Eat Pho With MSG? A Pho Poll Result
- 5 Important Lessons For Pho Restaurant Startups
- Best Practice Inventory System For Pho Restaurant Profit, Part 1
- Inventory System For Pho Restaurant, Part 2: Key Characteristics
- Tips To Lower Startup Cost To Open A Pho Restaurant
- Design, Build and Open Vietnamese Pho Restaurant
- Wall Mural: Saigon Pho Restaurant
- Four Signs That A New Pho Restaurant May Not Make It
- Location, Location, Location: Myths and Facts For Pho Restaurants
- Prime Cost And Why Keeping It Under Control Is Critical To A Pho Restaurant’s Survival
- I’m 1 Month Out From Opening My First Small Restaurant
- Inventory System Part 3: What Would You Categorize These Items as?
- Pho Restaurant Kitchen Efficiency: What It Means And How To Achieve It
- Ways To Store Large Quantity Of Pho Broth When You Made Too Much Of It
- Quick Cook Banh Pho Noodle
- Designing Pho Service And Final Plating/Expediting Floor Plan
- Improving the Pho Menu For Mainstream Appeal
if msg is unacceptable then to be consistent these ppl wont eat parmesan or ketchup or tomato products or sausages or basically this super long long long list of most things. Just because you dont know something doesnt make it better or worse. Ignorance doesnt make things suddenly ok. I respect that people are anti msg as long as they are whole heartedly consistent. If someone just says i dont want pho to have msg then to be completely fair dont eat pizza…. or anything tomato or cheese based or mushrooms either… or ranch dip or cheetos or doritos… or potato chips. Dont be one of those haters that just make single instance excuses be consistent otherwise that makes you a hypocrit. If you wanna be healthy you need to avoid all the msg not just make excuses whenever its convenient. You dont wanna be that person whose complaining about the pollution in the air and then smokes packs packs of cigarettes everyday. Whats they point when youre putting more cancer into yourself than the environmental pollution could ever do to you. Credibility comes with consistency not contradictions.